Sunday 23 September 2012

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower (Book Review)



Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower


Title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Publisher: MTV Books
Publication Date: February 1st, 1999
Genre: YA, Realistic Fiction


In August of 1991 fifteen-year-old Charlie begins writing letters about his life to a stranger who he thinks will listen and understand. He doesn’t want this person to know who he is, so he has changed all the names of the people in his life. Charlie has a tendency to over think things, and prefers to look on from the sidelines than to participate. As he starts high school, he is still trying to get over the recent suicide of his best friend Michael. Charlie soon befriends Patrick and Sam and is introduced to their friends. Their world is one full of sex, drugs, love, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, mixed tapes, and moments that make you feel infinite. 

I picked this book up because of the cover, I loved what the cover looked like, when I started reading it, I got straight into it, it was quite interesting at the beginning.
I would rate it a 10, because the book is literally the greatest book ever.

After I finished reading this book, I tried to put my finger on what makes this book special. It wasn’t the great quotes or the characters, but how poignant this book is. What makes me love The Perks of Being a Wallflower is how real the emotions in this book feel. A lot of the things that happened to Charlie have never happened to me, but while reading this book it felt as if they had. 

I love this book, I connected well with Charlie and the other characters, but now there gone, I'm going to miss Charlie's letters everyday.
I loved the way it was written, I don't normally read books written in letters, but I loved this one, I'm lost for words.
Theres nothing bad about this book, except that it had to end overall its the best book i've ever read. 
I recommend it.


“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment